Gelbooru

Notice: Please claim your Patreon rewards for December! We now offer a new perk (disable all advertising) to Patreon users who supported our project! (Read More and Contribute!).

Now Viewing: Mass Downvotes

Keep it civil, do not flame or bait other users. If you notice anything illegal or inappropriate being discussed, contact an administrator or moderator.

tanaab1234567890 Group: Member - Total Posts: 20
user_avatar
Mass Downvotes
Posted on: 03/12/16 09:45AM
There are pictures who are hit with a massive amount of downvotes that just doesn't seem right (often all comments, too).
Examples:

gelbooru.com/index.php?page=post&s=view&id=2973436
As well as every other pic in that set - indeed every single GochiUsa picture immediatelly receives a downvote.

gelbooru.com/index.php?page=post&s=view&id=1054359

gelbooru.com/index.php?pa...amp;id=1045426&pid=10
Comments only.

No one can tell me that this is goddam normal, not if we consider pretty much every other fucking pic or comment here.
What's going on here? Robots? Invasion?

Jerl Group: Administrator's Pet - Total Posts: 3979
user_avatar
Posted on: 03/12/16 09:58AM
That is normal, in the sense that people spamming downvotes with proxies is something that seems to happen daily.

There is literally nothing we can do about it.

tanaab1234567890 Group: Member - Total Posts: 20
user_avatar
Posted on: 03/12/16 10:05AM
Proxies - forgot to mention those.
Well, fine then, there are people who can only access this site via proxies (including me for a few weeks after my provider srewed something up), so we better not ban those altogether (please, that would scare me!)
Just wanted to ask, because this was annoying me for a long time now.
However, the GochiUsa-downvoter might only use a single normal account, dunno (can anons vote?). In that case you should maybe take a good look at him, because he's suspicious.

Jerl Group: Administrator's Pet - Total Posts: 3979
user_avatar
Posted on: 03/12/16 12:17PM
Anons can vote, yes.

Only the site owner can actually see anything about who made what vote on an image. The rest of the mod team has no way of seeing who's doing it. Even if we did conclusively identify that it's one single user doing that downvoting, they aren't breaking any rules, so we can't ban or even warn them for it. The only thing we could actually look into if we knew their user account is their uploads and their tag history; once again, only the site owner has the ability to look up anything else they've done. And I verify every single tag edit made on the site (even by other moderators) and haven't seen anything suspicious, so there's that.

By the way, it's actually impossible to ban all proxies. You can turn your home computer into a proxy that anyone else could use, so the only way to ban proxies is to actually run into a user using them. There are lists out there of known proxies, but even those are going to be incomplete.

Rayna Group: Member - Total Posts: 1
user_avatar
Remove the voting option
Posted on: 08/26/16 08:59PM
Jerl said:
Anons can vote, yes.

Only the site owner can actually see anything about who made what vote on an image. The rest of the mod team has no way of seeing who's doing it. Even if we did conclusively identify that it's one single user doing that downvoting, they aren't breaking any rules, so we can't ban or even warn them for it. The only thing we could actually look into if we knew their user account is their uploads and their tag history; once again, only the site owner has the ability to look up anything else they've done. And I verify every single tag edit made on the site (even by other moderators) and haven't seen anything suspicious, so there's that.

By the way, it's actually impossible to ban all proxies. You can turn your home computer into a proxy that anyone else could use, so the only way to ban proxies is to actually run into a user using them. There are lists out there of known proxies, but even those are going to be incomplete.


I think the voting option is pointless to begin with. It only brings negativity. I think removing the voting option on images would be a better idea and allow only accounts that have been registered for at least 3 days to vote on comments.

Jerl Group: Administrator's Pet - Total Posts: 3979
user_avatar
Posted on: 08/26/16 09:34PM
Rayna said:
Jerl said:
Anons can vote, yes.

Only the site owner can actually see anything about who made what vote on an image. The rest of the mod team has no way of seeing who's doing it. Even if we did conclusively identify that it's one single user doing that downvoting, they aren't breaking any rules, so we can't ban or even warn them for it. The only thing we could actually look into if we knew their user account is their uploads and their tag history; once again, only the site owner has the ability to look up anything else they've done. And I verify every single tag edit made on the site (even by other moderators) and haven't seen anything suspicious, so there's that.

By the way, it's actually impossible to ban all proxies. You can turn your home computer into a proxy that anyone else could use, so the only way to ban proxies is to actually run into a user using them. There are lists out there of known proxies, but even those are going to be incomplete.


I think the voting option is pointless to begin with. It only brings negativity. I think removing the voting option on images would be a better idea and allow only accounts that have been registered for at least 3 days to vote on comments.


Members of the mod team have been telling lozer that for at least 5 years now, and he's still giving a firm "no".

Anti_Gendou Group: Unofficial Gardener's Guild - Total Posts: 3797
user_avatar
Posted on: 08/26/16 10:18PM
I don't think it only brings negativity.

It just seems that images with certain tags... usually character or copyright, get targeted by this shit.

Otherwise, voting is somewhat on the level a lot of the time. Admittedly, Danbooru's approach to ban all anons from voting and only allowing users to do it might have actually been a good step after all.

Don't remember if it only allowed certain users to vote or anyone with an account. Even just blocking anons would make it a bit better.

Jerl Group: Administrator's Pet - Total Posts: 3979
user_avatar
Posted on: 08/26/16 10:38PM
Oh, another unfortunate thing about user accounts on Gelbooru is that you don't need an email for them. Given that the maximum length for a username is pretty long, there's an effectively inexhaustible number of random usernames to register accounts to proxy downvote, and you can just register them and start using them immediately without any verification or anything. It'd be pretty easy to automate, too.

Anti_Gendou Group: Unofficial Gardener's Guild - Total Posts: 3797
user_avatar
Posted on: 08/27/16 03:32AM
Account must be at least 30 days old to vote...

Thoughts? I'm sure its a shitty idea.

Question is, is removing voting entirely to save people from butthurt an even more complicated idea?

Deusexcalamus Group: Moderator - Total Posts: 1151
user_avatar
Posted on: 08/27/16 11:39AM
Anti_Gendou said:
Question is, is removing voting entirely to save people from butthurt an even more complicated idea?

I'd say yes, considering the fact that Lozer flat-out refuses to do it as Jerl stated previously.

add_replyAdd Reply

1 2